A good fuel is one which has the following properties :
- It should be fairly cheap and easily available.
- Its ignition temperature should be above normal temperature.
- It should be easy to handle and transport.
- It should not produce any poisonous material during burning and after burning it should not leave any residue or ash behind.
- Its combustion rate should be steady and controllable.
- It should have high calorific value so that it produces a high amount of energy for each unit of mass or volume.