(1) Husk or dirt particles can be separated by the winnowing method.
(2) Undesirable substances such as pieces of stone in the pulse or rice can be separated by hand-picking but the husk is mixed with the pulse then we separate it by winnowing.
(3) It is used to separate the heavier and lighter components of a mixture by wind or by blowing air.
(4) In this method, the mixture of husk and seeds of grains are taken on a plate and are made to fall down from a height up to our shoulders.
(5) As the mixture falls down, the lighter husk is taken away by blowing air and the heavier grain seeds fall down to make a heap.